Both groups, Trinity and St. John’s started erecting churches, and they were dedicated at about the same time (December of 1872). Trinity Church was located in what is now Randall Park. Pastor Friedrich served both churches for several years.
After about 15 years in Trinity, during which there was much dissension among the members, a group broke off and formed St. James in January of 1885. They were affiliated with the Iowa Synod. The building was dedicated in August of 1885, with Carl Baumbach as pastor. He serviced until 1921, when J. F. Drewelow was called. During Drewelow’s tenure, the church was remodeled, a basement dug, transepts added, with balcony and choir loft. Rev. Drewelow was here until 1926, when Rev. B. Spaulding was called. He was here for 17 years until his death in 1943. During his time as pastor, the parsonage was purchased for $4,000.